Beta version 2.0 done
December 8, 2020
It took a little longer than anticipated, but of course anticipation is not what it used to be. However, we now have a beta version available, ready for testing. There's some tweaking to be done, both in the app and the surrounding information (like the website). We're planning a final release in the months to come.
Communicado 2.0 is available for external beta testing. If you are interested in helping us out, please let us know. You'll need an iPad with at least iOS 11. We'll be happy to make you a member of our beta testing team!
Just send us an email to state your interest: .
Work in progress
April 7, 2020
With great pleasure we can tell you we are working hard on creating a new version: Communicado 2.0. Interviews with users gave us an impression of the strong and weak points of Communicado 1.6. We are of course aiming at keeping the strong points and improving the weak points. For instance, for end users we want to keep the ease of use, and for administrators we want to improve the way to create and share documents.
Communicado 2.0 is completely revised and rewritten. For us, the changes are already clearly visible. At the same time we wanna make sure existing users won't be frightened by a new look. A challenge, indeed! We are treading carefully but steadily. Expect a new release by this fall.
If you have ideas or wishes: .
The best in the test
October 30, 2018
At a meeting organised by Dinges! it was announced today that Communicado is the best usable aphasia app. Two test results were published and in both tests Communicado was on the top of the list: the usability for users, and the amount of time it takes to answer a given question.
We are proud, of course, but we want to stress that other apps had good scores as well. Which app is the best for an individual user strongly depends on the capabilities and the limitations of that particular user.
New company name and website
May 25, 2018
Recently, I've changed my company name from "zdndrp" to "effenix". Nothing much changes, except I will be cutting down on some of my projects and concentrate more on developing apps. Currently, I'm working on a completely revised version of Communicado. It'll take some more time.
Version 1.6: disable edit bar and bug fixes
October 7, 2016
Version 1.6 is available in the App Store. Adds a new feature and includes fixes for a few serious bugs.
- New feature: in the Settings app, when selecting Communicado, you can now disable the edit bar. This is for situations where a user unintentionally shows the edit bar and edits or removes items.
- Fixed bug: app crashed after importing document.
- Fixed bugs: app crashed when trying to add images from the photo library, or trying to record sound.
Version 1.5: bug fixes
December 2, 2015
Includes fixes for a couple of minor but annoying bugs.
- Solved a bug where selecting the same item multiple times in a row would play a connected sound only once.
- Solved a bug where a freshly created sample document had to be re-opened to display its contents.
Version 1.4: improved drag-and-drop functionality; new Documents button
June 24, 2015
Changes are especially meant for users creating and editing documents.
- When the edit bar is visible, documents can be created and edited. That's not a new feature. Previously, limited functionality existed to drag categories and items to different positions. This functionality has now been vastly extended. Categories and items kan be moved by a long press on them, until they are slightly enlarged. After that, they can be dragged to a different position. It is now also possible to drag them to a different category. For more information: see Editing content.
- For the end-users of Communicado it has always been possible to create a story. They can drag items to the story on the bottom of the screen. In addition, they can now also drag to a specific position in the story, or change that position later. To do this, the edit bar does not have to be visible.
- Removing an item from the story can now be done by dragging it to the area above the story.
- De edit bar now has a dedicated button for opening and creating documents. Previously, a command from the action menu had to be used for this.
Version 1.3: support for iOS 7; new Download-feature
October 11, 2013
- Under iOS 7, a couple of disturbing cosmetic problems were visible in Communicado. They have now been fixed.
- So far, all content had to be added to Communicado by hand. This is of course still possible, as it remains important for personalized content. However, a brand new Download feature is now also available. It can be used to download ready-made categories. These categories can be added to any document, at any desired position, in any desired combination. Currently, a limited number of categories is available. The intention is that users can share categories with other users.
- Users that are willing to share their categories with others will get access to a new Upload feature. This feature is available in version 1.3, currently for a limited set of users. Communicado users who want to cooperate on this are requested to apply by .
July 19, 2013
It has a new feature and a fix for an annoying bug.
- Every item can now have its own type, independent of the category the item is in. In previous versions of Communicado, if a category was defined as being of type "Image", it could contain only items of that type. Now, starting with version 1.2, it can also contain items of type "Word" or "Text". The desired type of an item can be selected when editing that item.
- Solved a bug where Communicado would crash when working with large images.
May 3, 2013
contains a few minor fixes:
- Solved a bug where Communicado could not be started if it had to upgrade a large document.
- Providing better feedback during long-lasting operations (upgrading, exporting and importing).
April 12, 2013
No dramatic new features, but a few bugs solved and a couple of improved features:
- The procedure for sharing documents has been simplified and is also documented more clearly.
- Documents used for sharing are now considerably reduced in size, making them easier to transport to another user.
March 18, 2013
User feedback has made clear that exchanging Communicado documents was not without its problems.
A better procedure is available in Communicado starting with version 1.1.
Also, a better description of the document sharing procedure has been made:
December 1, 2012
Communicado is for sale!
It's very hard for a software developer to release the initial version of an application. There's always more work to do, but you gotta be realistic.
Therefore, right now: Communicado in the App Store!